Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blog #9 TED Kathryn Schulz: Don't regret regret


Hello, this is Chiaki. I was surprised when I heard the next topic we use for our blog was TED because I have already known it and enjoy watching it usually. TED is the best material for us to learn English and to be worth listening. Today I'll introduce you a beneficial lecture by Kathryn Schulz: Don't regret regret. This lecture teach us an important thing not to regret what we have done but to live with the regret that we made, and it also encourage us to live after making a big mistake through her tattoo experience. This was filmed in November 2011 and posted in December 2011, it isn't a new one but it is really great.



 The reason is why I chose this lecture is recently I took an important exam but after taking it and handing it in I noticed my faults but of course I couldn't and must not rewrite my answer so I regretted it. Since then I have been thinking about my faults and think if I could notice my stupid mistakes earlier and could change them before handing it in, I could pass it, even though my result have not been arrived to me yet. I sometimes regret what I had done and I think everyone dose too. I have wanted to know how to remove such a strong regret so I chose it.

 Through this lecture, she talked about her the most regret, tattoo experience when she was 29. On that day she got a tattoo on her arm, she really regretted it and couldn't sleep well and got irritated to what she had done. She always doesn't regret so much because she hopes this word: Things without all remedy should be without regard; what's done is done, but in this case she was very regretted. Finally she found the way to live with our own regrets, not to regret what we had done before and not to blame ourselves through her experience.
Here are the best ways to remove from the disgusting feeling and to comfort ourselves.
 1. to find some comforts in the universality of the regret
 2. to laugh myself off
 3. to obtain the power of time

Through her lecture I could find the most interesting but profitable things, these are we can learn new things from what we had mistaken, we can find our own possibilities from what we had done, and we can comfort ourselves by ourselves. Because if we regret what we had done and hope the things could be changed, but it is definitely impossible. We should advance, don't stop. Inevitably we should live with our own faults without too much disappointment, so the best ways to do that are learning the way to comfort ourselves and having a new point of view, as she said, "we have to love non-perfect things with faults that we create and to admit ourselves who create these." I enjoyed this lecture and learned the most beneficial thing for me, so I will try to comfort myself and not to regret what I had done before. Spending too much time on thinking about the regret that couldn't be changed and the past that I am still not convinced kills our precious time. The regrets remind us of not the regret itself but the fact that I could have produced much better results depend on us.
Please watch it and lead a better life without disappointments!!!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting topic. I think everyone has a regretful experience or two. I know overcoming this feeling is really tough but thanks to her lecture, I might find out way to do it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an expression: "No use crying over spilled milk. " In other words, you can't change some things - just clean it up and move on.

    Ms. MacGregor

    ReplyDelete