Saturday, October 13, 2012

Blog # 8 Minimalism

Hello! This is Kimura Takuto.

Even though it is far from the end of this year, I have begun cleaning my room. And I have sold some card games I used to play with. When cleaning my room, I recalled an article in Courrier Japon. This is about minimalism.

Minimalism originated in art, design and music, and means erasing all unnecessary things and making works simple without characteristics. But recently, it has been incorporated in lifestyles, living a life with only 100 belongings including furniture and clothes.




To become a minimalist, five things are required.

1. Throwing away all unnecessary things

2. Having a good eye to distingish precious things from your stuffs

3. Cherish what you have chosen, not discarding it so easily

4. Never look at huge empty space in your room as sad, but as pleasant

5. Change your life style over and over again. Never linger in one particular style


If you don't see what I'd like to say, please refer to this, written in Japanese.

Thanks to tablet PC and smart phones having many functions, not so many things are needed when living. ( For example, clock, weather forecast, TV, newspaper and so on can be replaced by these devices.) And since economy is still dipping and people are likely to refrain from spending money on luxuries, minimalism would become appreciated.

However, there are some dissidents arguing eliminating unnecessary things also means eliminating memories and emotions reminded from them. Think about toys you used to play with. Can you erase them without any compromise?

3 comments:

  1. I tried many times to be a minimalist but I couldn't. My room is still fulled with many stuffs...
    so...you gave me a good oppotunity to try it again ^^ thanks for an interesting and encouraging blog^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Chiaki

    I am not a minimalist... but a maximalist...!!!
    My own room is really really mess!!!!!! terrible with many many stuffs!!!I am trying to clean my room up now, so thank you for giving me suitable information !!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to know what is "unnecessary." But then again, I have almost never regretted anything I have thrown out. As the TED talk shows (Shoko's blog), regret is useless - and if I really need or want what I threw away I might think about replacing it, if possible. But usually, I don't.
    Ms. MacGregor

    ReplyDelete